Seen here: Mountain bikers in action on the W-section of the A-2-Z Trails in the Grabouw Forest.
The 2016 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Events will kick off on Friday, 04 November 2016 with the FNB W2W MTB Adventure.
The first of two destination stages, Stage One is the ideal ice breaker with riders starting off at the picturesque Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West, traversing a 68km route that includes a 1420m climb and the infamous portage section at Gantouw Pass, before crossing the finish line at the majestic Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw), home for two days.
According to Michael Meyer, FNB W2W MTB Director, entrants are in for a treat at the 2016 FNB W2W MTB Adventure, Ride and Race. “We will never be satisfied that the event has reached its pinnacle. Together with our sponsors and the support of our riders we have a strong desire to continue improving the FNB W2W offering every year. We look forward to welcoming riders to the start of a sublime three day mountain bike experience.”
EVENT DATES: FNB Wines2Whales MTB Events (Adventure, Ride and Race)
Starting in the Winelands of Somerset West, riders will cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere) before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!
- FNB Wines2Whales MTB Adventure: Friday, 04 November 2016 – Sunday, 06 November 2016
- FNB Wines2Whales MTB Ride: Monday, 07 November 2016 – Wednesday, 09 November 2016
- FNB Wines2Whales MTB Race: Friday, 11 November 2016 – Sunday, 13 November 2016
Stage One Route Information:
“The views of False Bay and Table Mountain, Gantouw Pass and the A-2-Z Trails are iconic to Stage One,” says Johan Kriegler, FNB W2W MTB Director. “My advice to riders is to pace well for the first 8km of Stage One. Be careful on the 3km Lourensford downhill, from the Saddle it is very fast with ruts, bumps and sharp corners. The new Vergelegen climb is a short monster. If you’re not a climber, rather walk, save your legs for Gantouw Pass. Most importantly, remember to savor the views and enjoy the route.”
Start Venue: Lourensford Wine Estate
Finish Venue: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)
- From the start at Lourensford there is an 8km and 450m climb up to the Saddle at 550m. The climb is on a wide gravel road with both a smooth and hard surface. Take a moment to enjoy the magical views of Stellenbosch and Cape Town;
- After the saddle, riders will be greeted by a fast 3km downhill on open gravel roads with good surface and steep corners.
- The Vergelegen Climb awaits riders at 30km, it’s a short climb of 380m, but the steepest on the W2W route.
- At 38km riders will be welcomed by Gantouw Pass, a compulsory portage, at a height of 530m.
- From 40km – 55km riders will have some fun on the A-2-Z single tracks that are moderately technical, but flowing;
- Finally the last 10km to Oak Valley is different, easier and more interesting than previous years.
CLICK HERE to view the Stage One Route Map.
Each FNB W2W MTB entrant will receive an adidas branded jacket. Together with Duesouth, the official retail partner of the FNB W2W MTB Events, adidas will set up an exhibitor’s area in the Race Village. Riders and supporters can look forward to a firsthand experience of adidas’ newest TERREX range.
CLICK HERE to view the 2016 FNB W2W MTB Race prize purse breakdown.
Like our Facebook page: Wines2Whales
Follow us on Twitter: @w2wmtb
About FNB Wines2Whales:
FNB Business and FNB Private Wealth have made a joint commitment to sponsor the annual Wines2Whales Mountain Bike Events.
FNB’s ongoing strategy is to support local and community events that show the potential to grow. This sponsorship affirms our dedication to providing an experience that is beyond expectation, through a sport that continues to grow in popularity as one of the key activities in the South African sporting calendar. The annual FNB Wines2Whales Mountain Bike Events are aligned to our belief that adventure is the heart of innovation and this is one of many platforms on which we seek to make a lasting connection with new and existing clients.
FNB Business – Get more bank. Do more business.
FNB Private Wealth – Let us invest our time to manage and grow your wealth
ISSUED BY: Newsport Media
ON BEHALF OF: Wines2Whales Organisation