“Let Nature Give You A Run For Your Money”
AJ Calitz and Bernard Rakudza (Contego K-Way) shook up the field during Stage Two of the ProNutro AfricanX Trailrun presented by New Balance on Saturday, 15 March 2014 claiming the stage victory in a lightning fast time of 02 hours 41 minutes 34 seconds, cementing a 03 minute 06 second lead going into Stage Three on Sunday.
According to Calitz, Stage Two was good fun. “The top six teams were together up until the Grabouw Country Club. Kane and Thabang dropped here, but I was feeling good. Just after the second climb, round about 25km into the stage Bernard and I pulled away. The change of the Stage Two route levelled the playing field as this is my kind of route and everything went according to plan. We knew that we’d have to build a good lead today, as the other teams are brilliant and Stage Three is shorter. Going into Stage Three as the leading men’s team is terrifying, but Bernard and I didn’t enter this event to come second. We’ll definitely be going for the win”. Michael Bailey and Ben Brimble (Nedbank / The North Face) came in second, while Kane Reilly and Thabang Madiba (Salomon Men) finished third.
Meg Mackenzie and Andrew Erasmus (Team Salomon) secured their first victory of the weekend in the mixed team category of the ProNutro AfricanX Trailrun presented by New Balance completing the 34km Stage Two route in a well-deserved time of 03 hours 07 minutes 07 seconds. “Today was fantastic,” said a very excited Mackenzie. “There was lots of single track and climbing, this suited us. Andrew and I really make a good team, we pull each other through. We took it slow on Stage One, which was good as we had fresh legs for today. Our goal was to close the gap. This is my first AfricanX and I absolutely love it. I’m never going to miss another AfricanX”. Landie and Christiaan Greyling (Salomon Mixed) came in second, while Marie Wessels and Eddie Lambert (Contego Mixed) finished third.
Chantel Nienaber and Katya Soggot (ProNutro Ladies) claimed their second Stage win for the weekend in an impressive time of 03 hours 25minutes 19 seconds. “This was the most phenomenal day,” said Nienaber. “Today’s stage was really well organised and featured a nice variety, but it was still really tough with gruelling hills. I’ve never had such a good team mate. We trained together before the race and did some good bonding. We’re literally at a stage where we no longer need to talk, we just gel”. Robyn Kime and Su Don-Wauchope (The North Face) came in second, while Danette Smith and Helene Roux (Team Mizuno) finished third.
Stage Two of the ProNutro AfricanX Trailrun presented by New Balance saw runners needing to complete a 34km route that started Ongegund Lodge (Sir Lowry’s Pass Village) and finished at Paul Cluver Amphitheatre.
CURRENT STANDINGS GOING INTO STAGE THREE:
1. 06:13:50 Katya Soggot and Chantel Nienaber (ProNutro Ladies )
2. 06:32:33 Robyn Kime and Su Don-Wauchope (The North Face)
3. 06:44:31 Danette Smith and Helene Roux (Team Mizuno)
4. 06:57:50 Charmaine Salvage and Caitlin Lewis (Team Hammer Ladies)
5. 07:30:49 Jean Rossouw and Carla Pietersen (Adept)
1. 05:00:18 AJ Calitz and Bernard Rakudza (Contego K-Way)
2. 05:03:24 Michael Bailey and Ben Brimble (Nedbank / The North Face)
3. 05:12:18 Kane Reilly and Thabang Madiba (Salomon Men)
4. 05:22:25 Nic De Beer and Tsungai Mwanengeni (Vintage Vets)
5. 05:30:36 Morne Van Greunen and Antoine Van Heerden (Team Puma)
1. 05:53:39 Landie Greyling and Christiaan Greyling (Salomon Mixed)
2. 05:54:54 Andrew Erasmus and Meg Mackenzie (Team Salomon)
3. 06:20:50 Eddie Lambert and Marie Wessels (Contego Mixed)
4. 06:32:31 Iain Peddle and Laura Peddle (Team TLFP)
5. 06:35:59 Leilani Scheffer and Jacques Mouton (Goat Runners)
COMING UP NEXT: STAGE THREE / Sunday, 16 March 2014
Finish: Houw Hoek Inn
Elevation Gain: 650m