Photo Credit: Jetline Action Photo
“Let Nature Give You A Run For Your Money”
Stillwater Sports, the organisers of South Africa’s premier three day stage trail run, the AfricanX Trailrun presented by ASICS, are excited to continue working alongside CapeNature to ensure that the 8th running of this much talked about event is the most memorable one yet.
“CapeNature’s legal responsibility is biodiversity conservation in the Western Cape,” says Alexis Olds, Ecological Coordinator CapeNature. “As the conservation authority of the Western Cape, CapeNature recognises that nature is everyone’s heritage. With a vision of conserving nature for a sustainable future, we believe the gift of natural and cultural heritage should be enjoyed by generations to come. We absolutely love the AfricanX Trailrun. The routes are exquisite and really showcase some of the most beautiful parts of the Cape Floristic Region. The event is very well organised and from day one Stillwater Sports has been fully supportive of our conservation initiative.”
“A team from CapeNature first participated in the AfricanX in 2012,” continues Olds. “In 2014 the team decided to dress up as an endangered species for Stage 2’s Dress-Up Day. In 2015 the team decided to dress up as an endangered species for all three stages. The purpose was to raise awareness for species facing extinction due to human impact. Stage One saw them dress up as Barrydale Redfin, for Stage Two they dressed as Cape Mountain Zebra and for Stage Three they dressed as Swanepoel’s Opal Butterfly. In 2016 we will carry on the tradition. Be sure to look out for CapeNature’s Wildlife Warriors.”
Interesting facts about CapeNature:
- CapeNature manages most of the mountain catchments and reserves that supply ecosystem services such as fresh water resources to the citizens of the Western Cape.
- The Kogelberg Nature Reserve is often considered the heart of the Cape Floral Kingdom because of the exceptional quality of its fynbos.
- The Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve (near Grabouw) is home to the famous kloofing trail, Suicide Gorge. The trail is an adrenaline-pumping way to explore the Hottentots Holland and its clear mountain pools. Suicide Gorge involves a combination of hiking, leaping off cliffs into deep pools and swimming through mountain streams.
- Hottentots Holland is also home to the longest zipline canopy tour in the province, the Cape Canopy Tour.
Event Information: AfricanX Trailrun presented by ASICS
Teams of two (male/female/mixed) will be seen battling it out on a route varying in distance between 22 – 36km each day. The three routes have been planned in such a way that the participants will have the opportunity to tackle a different breath-taking scenic route each day, allowing them to enjoy the full beauty of the Overberg.
|Date:||11 – 13 March 2016|
|Format:||Three-day stage race / teams of two (male/female/mixed)|
|Venue:||Festival Village on the grounds of the Houw Hoek Inn|
|Distance:||Between 22km – 36km each day|
Entries are limited to 300 teams.
There are three entry options:
- R3050 per person – this includes breakfast and lunch, but excludes dinner and accommodation
- R3550 per person – this includes breakfast lunch and dinner, but excludes accommodation.
- R4100 per person – this includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and tented accommodation at Houw Hoek.
AfricanX Training Run: The first AfricanX training run of 2016 will take place this coming Saturday! According to Dawid Visser, ASICS Promotions and Training Specialist, the purpose of the AfricanX training run is to give entrants a better understanding of what to expect at the 2016 event. “Runners will get to mingle with likeminded athletes while picking up on some valuable gear and nutrition tips,” says Visser. “We will start with a 4km out and back on the Pipe Track, then take on some steep stairs up Kloof Corner before finishing off with an out and back run to Platteklip Gorge on the contour just below the cable car. The training run will be good preparation for Day Two of the AfricanX Trailrun. The route is however weather dependent and just might have to change on the day.”
|Date:||Saturday, 16 January 2016|
|Venue:||Meet at the first parking lot on Tafelberg Rd, Gardens, Cape Town|
Follow us on Face Book: Stillwater Trail Running
For additional information on the AfricanX Trailrun presented by ASICS contact Stillwater Sports on 082 991 0045 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issued by: NEWSPORT MEDIA
On behalf of: STILLWATER SPORTS